Monday, January 3, 2022

Styrus - Creative Style Virus

 

The Writers Page

Anna Michelle Page

"But still, the fates will leave me my voice, and by my voice I shall be known."
                                                         Poem by Ovid, Metamorphoses    


  I’m currently reading The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. A poetic genius, Atwood’s work stands up against time even as time advances. Miss Atwood writes little dialogue in this story, though my mind hears the story through dialogue. The tool - voice - The handmaid’s voice is convincing, as if she sits before me sharing her story.

    

    At the same time I’m reading, The Future is Faster Than you Think by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler. Possibly not the first choice for most writers, but the future is for storytelling. Studying the possibilities creates entertainment - a writer’s dream. Learning from the greats,  such as - Atwood - while expanding our knowledge, keeps the writer sharp.


A dialogue driven writer, I might never produce a piece such as Atwood’s, but her story improves my writing. Another writer’s style enters through photoreceptors that turn light into electrical signals to the brain where it becomes a virus of creative proportion.


By cultivating this creative virus - I’ll call ‘Styrus,’ the virus mutates into voice. 


Turn the page,
Anna Michelle




For more advice on writing, read K.M. Weiland's Blog: Writing Voice: 6 Things You Need to Know to Improve 
https://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/writing-voice/, or read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Send your work to: ampage18@gmail.com and risk revealing your story, poem or article on the Page.  After a painless critique, learn basic tools for improvement.  Right here.  On the Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Writers Page Anna Michelle Page "Frankly, I don't care what genre a reader thinks my book is, as long as it gets him to pick it...